Summer 2005
Riley
We sat on the swings on the playground near the cabins when Rae told me that we would not be seeing each other next summer.
"I'm gonna tour with the family, and in August we're gonna move to another town again."
"That sucks!" I replied.
"Yeah..." Rae sighed.
She sounded as miserable as I felt.
I sighed when it suddenly hit me that I was going to start 8th grade without Rae in September.
That was something we both had been looking forward to, because Rae had been home-schooled all her life, so 8th grade was supposed to be her first year in a real school.
When I mentioned 8th grade, Rae sighed.
"I guess I can kiss the whole junior high thing goodbye. I'm probably gonna be home-schooled until next fall."
"That stinks." I said.
Rae nodded.
"I know. I don't mind being home-schooled, but I was so psyched about the idea of starting a real school...!"
"When are you leaving, by the way?" I asked.
"Friday morning." Rae said.
"Friday...?! That's only two days away!"
"I know..." Rae sighed again.
We sat quiet for a long time.
Finally Rae asked:
"What are you thinking?"
I shrugged.
"Nothing."
But that was a lie. I was thinking about what a crappy summer this was!
I was about to lose my best friend, the sweetest girl in the world.
Life without Rae is going to be a total bore.
*
No comments:
Post a Comment